1. You apply in person at the County Sheriff’s office in the county where you reside. In some counties the Sheriff will accept permit applications at remote locations such as county service centers. Check the Sheriff’s web site for hours and locations.
2. The application form is available on line using the Adobe form filler program. You can access this form at the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension web site or you can usually find a link to the form of your Sheriff’s web site. You can complete the form at home or work and print the completed form that you bring to the Sheriff’s office.
3. Do not sign the form until you are actually in person making the application. (you need to be applying “in person”)
4. You will need to bring with you: A copy of your training certificate and a copy of a state issued picture ID. (Typically your Minnesota Driver’s License).
5. Some counties want to see the original of your training certificate. You might want to bring the original in addition to a copy.
6. Bring a check or cash. Most Sheriff’s offices do not accept credit or cash cards.
7. Your permit will be sent to you by mail within thirty days. If you are denied, you will be informed by mail within thirty days.
1. Follow the procedures above (How to apply for a Minnesota Carry Permit)
2. You may apply for your renewal 90 days before your permit expires. Your new permit will come with an expiration date that is 5 years from your old expiration date.
3. If you apply within thirty days after the expiration date, it is still a renewal and you will pay a $10 service charge and your new permit will have an expiration date 5 years from your old expiration date.
4. If you apply after your permit has been expired for thirty days, it is considered a new permit.
5. Your new permit will be sent to you by mail within thirty days. If you are denied, you will be informed by mail within thirty days.Having a big sale, on-site celebrity, or other event? Be sure to announce it so everybody knows and gets excited about it.
The TRAINING REQUIREMENTS FOR RENEWALS are the same as a pplying for a new permit. The process for applying is the same as a new permit.
Hennepin, Ramsey and Washington County Sheriff’s Departments are requiring appointments to submit applications at this time. You will need to call to get an appointment.
Ramsey County Gun Permit Unit 651-266-9670
Hennepin County Permit to Carry: 612-348-8008 (press #2)
Washington County: 651-430-7600